Friday, September 4, 2009

Hot New Band "Love and Theft" to Open for Jason Aldean, Miranda Lambert



Any band you talk to, if there is a problem on tour, they immediately blame their lead singer. I have spoken to several of my friends, who spend 80% of their year touring with their respective bands, and they all say the same thing, “yeah, it was a great tour except…” What follows that “except” is 100% of the time a complaint about the lead singer being unmanageable on the tour. Because this happens to everyone I know who is in a band, I assume that it is a universal phenomenon. Lead singers simply must be unmanageable. If I have a popular band who tours constantly I would have to assume that the lead singer would cause problems that would borderline tear the band apart but we would always finish the tour and solidify the band relationships afterwards. It is the same story every time.
Enter Love and Theft. For those of you who have not heard of them, Love and Theft is a three man band from Nashville, TN. They are, as you might expect from their city of origin, a new country band.
What is interesting about this band?
They are all lead singers!
Listening to their music from the studio this works very well. The positives of having three band members that all have the ability to lead their own band vocally are endless. They produce harmonies that are very seldom heard and are rooted deeply in the country music of old. The driving force of this band is not a drumbeat, like the current Pop-country scene, it is harmonic vocals and guitars (did I mention they all also play guitar?). Three lead singers who all play guitar! This made me question; what is it like on tour?
If I have heard nothing but complaints from bands about their lead singers on tour, I had to ask myself how this band of three lead singers, who all play guitar, make it through their tours without killing each other. The only other band that I remember having success on tour with three lead singers is Hanson but even they played different instruments.
Surprisingly to me, Love and Theft has thoroughly enjoyed all of their tours according to their interviews. They claim to love playing music together. The closeness of the band, in my opinion, leads to a great chemistry in the studio and on stage. With their single “Runaway” hitting #18 on the country charts, Love and Theft are poised to rock Applebees Park on Sept. 25th where they will be opening for Jason Aldean and Miranda Lambert, the best concert value of the year!

The Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment